Tagarchief: lieu de mémoire

De Hollandsche Schouwburg. Lieu de mémoire

Manet van Montfrans:  ‘Des sites et des lieux’.  ‘De Hollandsche Schouwburg: Bâtiment des larmes’. In: Ph. Mesnard, Luba Jurgenson (éds), Mémoires en Jeu,  n°1  Soljenitsyne/Chalamov,  Parijs, Éd. Kimé, septembre 2016,  128-133.

En ligne dans: Encyclopédie critique du témoignage et de la mémoire, Lieux de mémoire,  Philippe Mesnard et Luba Jurgenson (éds) (Eur’ORBEM / Paris IV – CRAL.EHESS)

En ligne: http://memories-testimony.com/lieu-memoriel/de-hollandsche-schouwburg-lieu-de-memoire-amsterdam/

Facade du Hollandscge Schouwburg©
Facade du Hollandsche Schouwburg©

Abstract

Until 1940, The Hollandsche Schouwburg, located just outside the Jewish quarter of Amsterdam, was a popular theatre, putting on many well-known Dutch plays. In 1941 the Nazi occupiers changed the theatre’s name into Joodsche Schouwburg (Jewish Theatre). After that, only Jewish actors and artistes were allowed to perform there – for a strictly Jewish audience. Between July 1942 and November 1943 more than 46.000 Jewish men, women and children were detained in the theatre and  transported from there to the Dutch transit camps in Westerbork or Vught. These were the last stop before they were herded into trains bound for one of the extermination camps.

The Creche, a day nursery located opposite The Hollandsche Schouwburg, was annexed for Jewish children. They were separated from their parents while they awaited deportation. Walter Süskind, a Jew who had fled Germany in 1938 and was a member of the Dutch Jewish Council (Judenrat), had been designated by the Nazis as the manager of The Schouwburg.  He  decided to start rescuing hundreds of children.  Helped by several Dutch Resistance groups around 600 children were smuggled out of the Creche through the adjacent Hervormde Kweekschool (Teacher Training College).  A crucial role was played by the assistants of  the Creche and the Director of the School.

After the liberation, attempts to put on public performances in the Hollandsche Schouwburg led to a storm of protest. In 1949 the theatre was sold to the Hollandsche Schouwburg Comittee, aimed at preventing the Schouwburg from ever being used again as a theatre. The Comittee donated the building to the city council of Amsterdam, but only after long years of discussions and controversy within the Jewish Community and with the city council , the decision was taken to transform the neglected buildings of the Schouwburg into a Memorial Site.

In 1962, the city council of Amsterdam inaugurated a monument here in remembrance of the Jewish victims of the Nazi terror. In 1993, a memorial chapel was installed, listing the 6 700 family names of the 104 000 Jews from the Netherlands who were murdered in the war. Today, the Hollandsche Schouwburg serves as a monument and war memorial.

Actually, the project of reuniting the two buildings,The Hollandsche Schouwburg and the former Hervormde Kweekschool directly across the street, in a National Shoa Museum,  is being carried out, in order to tell the comprehensive story of the persecution, deportation and murder of more than three-quarters of the Netherlands’ Jews (104.000).  On May 15th 2016 a first exhibition space in the former Kweekschool has been inaugurated  by the Mayor of Amsterdam.

Since 2005, the Dutch Auschwitz Committee has endeavoured to establish a Holocaust Memorial of Names that will bear the names of all the Dutch Holocaust Victims, including Roma and Sinti.  A design for the Memorial has been made by the American architect of Polish-Jewish descent Daniel Libeskind.  A longstanding  controversy  about the location of this voluminous Monument has been solved in April 2016: all involved parties seemCour du Hollandsche Schouwburg

to rest their case.

Cour du Hollandsche Schouwburg avec la stèle
Cour du Hollandsche Schouwburg avec la stèle

Terug naar de oorsprong: Geschiedenis en voorgeschiedenis bij Jean Rouaud

Terug naar de oorsprong. Geschiedenis en voorgeschiedenis bij Jean Rouaud, in Tirade, Amsterdam, G.A.van Oorschot, vol.55, No 1 (2011), 70-81.

paard_lascaux[1]In 1996 verscheen van Jean Rouaud (1952)  onder de titel Le paléo circus een mooi geïllustreerd verhaal over het ontstaan van prehistorische rotstekeningen. Rouaud voert een groep jagers ten tonele die ‘s avonds in de beschutting van een grot tot hun verbazing en ook ergernis vrouwen en kinderen aantreffen rond de tweederangsleden van de gemeenschap, de sjouwers. Deze steken gloedvolle verhalen af over de avonturen waarvan zij getuige zijn geweest. Het publiek hangt aan hun lippen en heeft voor de echte helden maar weinig aandacht. Op de achtergrond, in de schaduw, luistert ook een gebochelde verschoppeling mee. Hij wordt getolerereerd maar meer ook niet, en is, wanneer hij zich een voorstelling wil maken van de avonturen van de anderen, op zijn verbeelding aangewezen. Op een goede dag tekent hij, in de ban van een van de jachtverhalen, op de stoffige bodem van de grot de omtrek van een mammoet. Verbouwereerd staart hij naar zijn schepping, veegt hem uit, en herhaalt de beweging. De homo sapiens blijkt ook een homo ludens te zijn.

Verwante literatuur:

  • Jean-Jacques Salgon, Parade sauvage, Verdier 2016.
  • Pierre Michon, La grande Beune,  Verdier, 1997.

Link : www.tirade.nl

I